Wednesday, October 31, 2012

FOCUS ON: ADAM-PETER HICKS


I first heard of Adam-Peter Hicks when I saw the IRL LDN Summer 2012 Lookbook featured on Byron London's Tumblr (Byron was one of the models) a couple of months ago. I was so impressed by the photography in the shoot that I immediately googled the photographer and came across Adam-Peter's site, and the rest of his work. I love the way Adam-Peter works, I love the fact that he doesn't over-edit the colours or photoshop the models (major pet hates of mine) and how the models pose in these weird but really interesting ways. When I look at his work, it seems like all the shots could be taken on a polaroid, they have that rawness, and he's not afraid of breaking conventional rules of how a photo should be taken. There's a lot of experimentation in his style, a lot of trying original ideas which I find really interesting, which often results in the kind of photos that make me go 'damnit why didn't I think of that'. Some shots even seem like he took the photo by accident, but that's exactly the kind of thing that I love to see, catching something that you didn't mean to, because they're the photos that you don't realise would be really interesting shots until you've already taken them. That's when the model is the most natural and the photo is the least forced and it's definitely something that I would think about in my own photography since seeing how well it works in Adam-Peter's.


Adam-Peter's worked with some pretty high up clients, and considering the fact that he's only 19 years old (a year younger than me), I'd say he's well on his way to a pretty successful career! I wrote Adam-Peter a short interview, to get to know him a bit better and to introduce him to you all. 

Hey Adam-Peter, First, some background info. What age are you? Where do you live?
Hey, I'm 19 and I live in Norwich but work in London
 
How did you get into working with photography? Is it something you've always wanted to do?

I have always liked art and from that I developed an interest in photography. Ever since I was 15 I've wanted to be a photographer.
 
Did you have any education or training in Photography?

I did photography at A-Level and went on to do a foundation based in it.
 
Are there any particular photographers or artists whose work you feel has inpired your own? Why?

Corrine Day and Nan Goldin, because there work is raw and emotive but my work is quite different to their style.


One of my all-time favourite photos, 'Misty and Jimmy' by Nan Goldin

 
Who would you most like to work with on a photoshoot and why?

Tim Walker as I would like to see another side of photography.
 
What is the most memorable (for reasons bad or good) project you have worked on?

The project for Volt Café as I feel its the project that flows the most and has most story behind it.
 
What have been some big milestones in your career so far?

Working with designers such as Simon Preen, and Signor Jester. My work going in Fiasco magazine & working with David Motta several times.
 
Are you working towards a goal? At what point would you think to yourself 'I've made it'?

I would think I've made it when my work has been published in an internationally known publication. I always try to refine my work with every shoot I do, so I would say I have made it when I achieve my definition of perfection.
 
Besides photography, what else are you interested in?

Fashion. Actually im working on a new project at the moment, making silk scarves in collaboration with a Graphic Designer/Illustrator called Amy Worrall from Norwich (see some of the designs on ahxaw.tumblr.com). This is an extension of my photography and me experimenting with other ways of working.
 
What 2 songs should we all be listening to at the moment?


Check out more of Adam-Peter Hicks' work on his site: http://www.adampeterhicks.com/ or like his page on Facebook by clicking here https://www.facebook.com/AdamPeterHicks


No comments:

Post a Comment