Saturday, January 19, 2013

INSPIRATION: CONOR HARRINGTON

'Dead Meat' by Conor Harrington

I'm blown away at the moment by the work of Irish street artist Conor Harrington and the work that I saw today on the side of Bang Cafe on Merrion Row today. I looked up at the side of the building as I was walking by and immediately my jaw dropped as I noticed a massive painting of a dead deer and a seated man leaning over at it, his face removed and littered with graffiti tags. The piece looks like an old painting from the Louvre, that was just left on a beach for a month so the paint has cracked and bled and vandals have tagged it with graffiti signatures, and yet it's one of the most incredible pieces I've seen in a long time, certainly the best piece of Irish street art I've ever come across! I love all the textures and colours, they all clash and overlap like a sloppy collage, but all the chaos and movement is what makes it so striking and beautiful. The size of it is a big impact as well, I'm sure it wasn't done in a quick sketch like most street art, it's a good 3 metres tall at least and painted at the top of the gable wall (which I think is a great idea because it doesn't make the street seem run down or vandalized, and makes it easier to appreciate as 'art'). His fine art meets street art way of working is one that I haven't seen before and I find so interesting and unusual. I'm a big fan of the renaissance, and I'm a big fan of the modern street art culture. This combination of both is perfect.

'When We Were Kings' by Conor Harrington

'Modern Monarchy' by Conor Harrington

'Tales Of Blood And Slaughter' by Conor Harrington

I want to try incorporate some of Harrington's techniques of destroying perfect images to make them more interesting in my own work, maybe make a collage then rip off some pieces and stick some new ones on, throw on some paint then turn it upside down, run it under the tap and rub it with sandpaper, that kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment