Sunday, February 24, 2013

FILM: HITCHCOCK (2012)


I'm probably the farthest thing from a movie buff that you will ever meet. Not that I dislike movies, I just rarely find a movie memorable or really impacting. I have to force myself to finish movies and rarely succeed. So I'm bloody glad I decided to go to the cinema (for the first time in nearly a year) to see 'Hitchcock'. Based around the filming of one of my favourite movies, 'Psycho', the film focuses on the director, Alfred Hitchcock himself, and his relationships with those around him which ultimately had massive effects on the outcome of the movie and his life. I thought it was amazing to see what was going on inside the life of one of film's most iconic influences, and why he was considered so scandalous at the time.


I always say that when I watch movies, I don't watch them for the plot or the acting or the camerawork, I'm always focused on the visuals and production, the costumes, the sets, the soundtrack. This film changed all of that and if Anthony Hopkins doesn't win an Oscar tonight for his portrayal of Alfred Hitchcock, then I'd rather only read reviews written by bloggers from now on rather than by the "professionals"


That doesn't mean, however, that I wasn't watching the visuals and production. For once, this movie held my attention because, even if I wasn't in a cinema, with every incredible camera shot, there was another outfit or background or angle that made me go 'wow' just about every two minutes throughout the entire film. The whole era of the 60's has always amazed me, I love all the clothes and hairstyles and even the way people walked and talked a different way, and every detailed was considered to the finest point. I'm a particular fan of Hitchcocks' trousers with the waistband coming up to his ribs, encompassing the massive gut, it's hard to believe anyone used to wear trousers like that, but well considered and researched. Also, his wife Alma's dress towards the end of the film I found really interesting, very unusual but really nice.


If you've ever liked a Hitchcock movie, or seen him in an interview, you're going to love 'Hitchcock'. Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Hitchcock is the most mind-blowingly accurate I've ever seen, or thought possible. With the aid of prosthetic features and (I'm guessing) pot-belly, the voice, the posture, the tiniest characteristics were all so perfectly replicated, I respect him so much more as an actor, and he kind of puts all other actors in the shade now after seeing it. I feel like saying 'SEE! That's how good you could be!'

See a video of an interview with the actual Alfred Hitchcock below



As for any criticisms I would have with the film, I'd say there are very few. I was very bored watching Jessica Biel and Scarlett Johansson acting, but I guess when you're put up against some of the greatest actors of all time like Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren, it's probably pretty hard to measure up. A friend who I was with also said that he found some scenes, which showed Hitchcock talking to an imaginary man that represents his mind or conscience, to be boring and unnecessary. I disagreed but he had never seen a Hitchcock film before, so maybe for those unfamiliar with Hitchcock it might seem unnecessary, but for those who are fans, I thought it was a brilliant way to show just how twisted he must have been to do the things he did at the time.


Overall, I'd give this film an absolute 10 out of 10. My favourite film that I've seen in the a long time and definitely one that I would be able to watch again. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't scoop a couple of Oscar's tonight.



Watch the trailer for "Hitchcock" below

No comments:

Post a Comment