Sunday, February 10, 2013

MY PORTFOLIO: MASKS AND PORTRAITS


These are a couple of images I produced as part of an assignment to capture a series of portraits, but of course it couldn't just be a straight-on-smile-black-and-white-jeans-and-white-top kind of thing, it had to be somehow more interesting. I came up with the idea to do a series of masks the night before it was due and had 4 hours in the morning to make the masks, find models, shoot the photos, go and get them printed and have photos stuck up above my desk ready for assessment. I made the masks in about five minutes each, but had the construction methods planned out in my head which made them a bit easier. They're just made from paper, masking tape, plastic cups, foam, everyday things which is probably my favourite way to work, using unconventional materials to make interesting wearable items.


The idea came from the fact that I was so stuck with what to do for portraits. I hate images where models seem forced or like they're posing, it looks so fake and cringey. I thought about how I could distract my models, to not let them think about the fact they're being photographed, so I treated the portraits like a fashion shoot. 'I'm shooting the masks instead of you so you do whatever you want I just want the masks in the shot' took the pressure off the models I think. I love the one of Aoife (purple octopus chick), where she blinked as I took the photo, and I thought it was way more interesting than all the other photos where she was looking straight at the camera or looking at the light or some other cliche. The border images, believe it or not, were three photos that I took totally at random the day before. When I applied them to the portraits, I thought they worked so well, with the colours and composition, for example the greens in the raindrops suited the greens of the rope and the column of light worked well with the tall, white headpiece.



I have to say I'm really proud of these photos, I always get into this rut where everything I think of I say to myself 'I couldn't do that' or 'that would look crap' or 'people would laugh' and this time I was under pressure so I just went ahead and did what I like doing and I was happy with the result! It gives me motivation to try something like this again in the future.

Thanks to my models Grace, Zoe and Aoife

No comments:

Post a Comment